Word Cookie

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Hard-earned Nostalgia & Radio Wisdom



So, I'm trying to get this blog rollin' and I think for this first meaty post, I'll just go with quantity over quality. Just to break the ice. I plan to write about pretty much whatever topic I want, and you can rest assured that most of the time that topic will be me. So, I thought I'd transcribe some of the less incriminating entries from my inferior paper journal. Here goes:

04/02/06

...Oh geez. This coffee shop in the Mission--World's Most Sincere Place Ever. Adorable, short and shapely woman with big poofy hair, nerd glasses, and black lip liner traced carefully around her mouth, with little vertical lines drawn over her lips...like how little kids draw that grid of teeth, but on the outside of her face. And I thought--Impressive how she gets it to line up like that! And not smudge. She was drinking through a straw, though. Small price to pay.

Anyway, she carefully explained the reason for the cost and the pure, herbal nature of the tea, and made such a slow, loving chai. Her companion was this younger, lanky greasy-haired guy on an acoustic guitar, strumming aimless, melodic pleasantries, wandering some Tolkienesque world where the progressions never end! Then, later strummed out some Dylan and Jeff Buckley songs. I though I heard him starting T. Rex, and lost my train of thought completely talking to my friend. And I think he had an original number, too. Heard him say to the girl, "this is about a serial killer," and give a line to her enthusiastic, "Yeah, man" nodding. And she was again so sincere, so nice. It made me wonder if people like that ever just snap and lose it, like in traffic or long lines, and there goes that dippy smile? But I guess that's what Republicans are for.




04/03/06

Additional thoughts from yesterday: with woman in cafe--I liked that there was something that meant enough to her to do her lipstick like that---whatever it was. It was good to be around. And on the way back to Oakland, caught in heinous winds on the Bay Bridge...the windows rattled on my car and I wondered if I was going to just pop right off the road and flip into the ocean. To take my mind off it, I was listening to some debate about the future of neuroscience on NPR. And a woman said, "So, the meaning of life is..." right as I went into the tunnel and got static! I could just make out "individual human expression" or "the expression of our individual experiences" and some references to Brave New World and 1984 (always a dramatic way to make your point), and left the tunnel just in time for, "And so, there." Funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home