Word Cookie

Monday, May 29, 2006

One week down...one to go.



A hollowness in my heart, no spring in my step, and a hateful resentment towards my empty sofa...what can all of this mean? The Colbert Report is still on hiatus--for one more sad, sad week. What will I do? Reruns. But, what will I do on the larger, metaphysical scale without the preternaturally handsome wisecracks of Stephen Colbert?

One option: take comfort in the Viva Colbert posters popping up around the Mission. Sadly, the one on my way to work has been covered by graffiti and posters with missiles or something on them (back to relying on visual interest of the Dona Tere taco truck/guy peeing behind it). Happily, I was able to snap the above picture with my cellphone before it vanished. But apparently the Colbert campaign is still going up elsewhere.

Nice work, anonymous wheatpaste elves! This is one of the few Good times where street art has had relevance my life. Another current Mission graffiti campaign are these delicate stencils of eerie sayings like, "Your love is all I've waited for," or "I live for your smile." These little melancholy love notes are seeping into my heart, despite my best efforts to write them off to another stupid hipster attention-grab. Here are photos of two and my feet:





I think there is something about seeing them there on the street when you least expect it--such bald and needy mush surrounded by a million nasty stains and trash and people leering and scurrying around--that bypasses all your city defenses and makes it way into your thoughts. But I have the sneaking suspicion that these little pearls of sentiment are secretly lyrics from 80's love ballads..I'm holding out to see "Everything I do, I do it for you" stencilled in front of El Metate.

Yet, for now, all I can do is wait until Stephen Colbert and his twinkly eyes return to enliven the Monday through Thursday, 11:30 to 12:00 timespot in my heart...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home